top of page


Aerator: A device screwed onto the end of a faucet spout that mixes air into flowing water to reduce water flow


Autofill (Automatic Pool Water Leveler): This device automatically allows water to flow into a pool to maintain a desired pool water level


Backflow Prevention Device: A device that prevents contaminants from entering the drinking water supply


Berm: A raised barrier such as mounded dirt used to contain irrigation water


Continuous Leak: An ongoing leak that occurs whether or not a water-using device is in operation


Emitter: A device on the end of drip irrigation tubing that regulates flow


Flood Irrigation: A flow of water that fills a basin surrounded by berms for landscape irrigation


Home vs. House: "Home" refers to the premises (both the property and the house); "house" refers to the structure itself


Hose Bibb: Exterior hose connection or spigot


House (Main) Water Shut-off Valve: This valve stops the flow of water from the service line to the house


Intermittent Leak: A non-continuous leak that starts and stops, this type of leak often coincides with the operation of a water-using device


Irrigation Controller/Timer: Controls the frequency and duration of irrigation watering cycles by automatically activating the control valves


Irrigation Station (Valve, Zone): Stations (programmed in the irrigation controller) switch on the valves that release the water to the irrigation zones in your yard or garden. The terms: station, valve and zone are often used interchangeably even though they have different meanings.


Irrigation System: Often consists of a backflow prevention device, underground pipes, valves and emitters, bubblers and/or sprinkler heads and an irrigation controller


Low-flow Indicator/Leak Detector: Typically looks like a small triangle, star or gear on the face of the water meter and rotates when water flows through the water meter

Overflow Tube: A tube in the toilet tank that allows water to flow into the toilet bowl


Riser: A vertical extension pipe used to raise the meter


Service Line: An underground pipe that carries water from the water meter to your home


Shut-off Valves: There are two main types of shut-off valves found in the home: (See Isolation Method.)

   A gate valve opens by turning the handle left (counter clockwise) to start water flow and closes by turning it right (clockwise) to stop water    flow.

   A ball valve opens by turning the handle parallel to the water line to start water flow and closes by turning it perpendicular to the water        line to stop water flow.

Toilet Flapper: A device in a toilet tank that controls the release of water from the toilet tank to the toilet bowl


Water-using Device: A device such as an appliance (dishwasher, clothes washer, etc.), evaporative cooler, water feature, koi pond or automatic pet watering trough that utilizes water

bottom of page